* Top ticker

Author Topic: Alcoa AA  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Brown Recluse

• The Founder of this forum
  • Administrator
Alcoa AA
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »
Alcoa for the WIN
Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Offline SeerII

• Global Moderator
  • Drinks $$$ or bust !
Re: Alcoa AA
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:31:29 AM »
you know I don't like the short time period either with the october's, but I think it's the best buy out there right now to control the most...we'll see...hopefully I get in tomorrow... 8)
A future event is a past event that hasn't happened yet. Today you are as old as you have ever been, and younger than you will ever be.

Offline Brown Recluse

• Administrator
Alcoa AA
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:22:26 AM »
Cheap options cost more because you have to pay more commissions to get the same amount of money invested the more expensive options you pay less commissions because you buy less options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Offline SeerII

• Global Moderator
  • Drinks $$$ or bust !
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »
Cheap options cost more because you have to pay more commissions to get the same amount of money invested the more expensive options you pay less commissions because you buy less options.

not really, still the $7 charge, plus a dollar per contract after the first contract...no matter what the premium is with scotty..trademonster cheaper, when attd is done doing whatever it's going to do, I'm switching to trademonster...much cheaper with options...check them out...owned by the najarian brothers...
A future event is a past event that hasn't happened yet. Today you are as old as you have ever been, and younger than you will ever be.

Offline blackfin2

• Administrator First Class
  • It's how much you win when you win.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:33:19 AM »
Yeah,

Definitely opening a Trademonster account.
"I'm your Hucklebearer."

Offline Brown Recluse

• Administrator
Alcoa AA
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »

not really, still the $7 charge, plus a dollar per contract after the first contract...no matter what the premium is with scotty..trademonster cheaper, when attd is done doing whatever it's going to do, I'm switching to trademonster...much cheaper with options...check them out...owned by the najarian brothers...

It's 1.25 per contract.  If I buy 50 contracts that's 69 bucks in commissions vs 10 bucks for 2 contracts.   I'll check out trade monster.

Clint Eastwood

Offline SeerII

• Global Moderator
  • Drinks $$$ or bust !
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »
using your example, 50 contracts for a total of 69 is a cost of 1.38 per contract...2 contracts for a total of 10 is a cost of 5 per contract...maybe I am missing the point...cheaper per contract to buy more...

Offline Brown Recluse

• Administrator
Alcoa AA
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 12:10:45 PM »
Yes that's right seer. Say you want to invest $500 and your cheap option is $1 so $100 per contract that's 5 contracts so that's $13.25 or it costs you $13.25 to invest $500 and the price is $5 or $500 per contract your cost to invest $500 is $7.. More expensive per contract but overall cost is lower to invest $500.

Clint Eastwood

Offline SeerII

• Global Moderator
  • Drinks $$$ or bust !
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 12:23:09 PM »
right, but with less contracts that raises your break even including commission because you control a lot less shares...it's all relative depending on what you control...bottom line, lets watch AA go to the freaking moon (after I get in) !!  8)

Offline Brown Recluse

• Administrator
Alcoa AA
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 03:11:51 PM »
Seer I got an excel spreadsheet in the works to settle this lol 😜

Clint Eastwood

Offline Brown Recluse

• Administrator
Alcoa AA
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
Seer I got an excel spreadsheet in the works to settle this lol 😜

[/quote

It will actually be really useful for all of us to use to to calculate our potential profits.  I'm going to make two calculators one for options and one for stocks.  You will have the ability to change the commission price so does not matter who the broker is.  I'll have it up tonight.

Clint Eastwood

Offline SeerII

• Global Moderator
  • Drinks $$$ or bust !
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 03:51:01 PM »
lol ! sounds good...take a look at siri...liberty media with a ton of insider buys...something could be on the near horizon there...

Offline Brown Recluse

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 06:41:13 PM »
Here is the first version of the Options calculator.  When you look at the profit keep in mind that I am factoring in the innitial commission and the commission that you will pay when you sell.  This way you can see how much the option has to increase in value for you to break even and get profit.

Clint Eastwood

Offline Brown Recluse

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 08:15:51 PM »
lol ! sounds good...take a look at siri...liberty media with a ton of insider buys...something could be on the near horizon there...

I m going for the JAN 2013 12.50's current ask is .07.  $400 gets you 57 contracts at a cost of $453 if using TD or Etrade or 478 for scottrade.  If it goes to .20 looking at a profit of $986 or 246% according to my spreadsheet.

Clint Eastwood

Offline SeerII

• Global Moderator
  • Drinks $$$ or bust !
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 08:54:51 PM »
nice work brown..been sleeping for a few hours...I should get filled tomorrow with siri and aa...will fill in the blanks and use the sheet...I like it...great work !

Offline Brown Recluse

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 09:00:57 PM »
nice work brown..been sleeping for a few hours...I should get filled tomorrow with siri and aa...will fill in the blanks and use the sheet...I like it...great work !

Thanks.. there are bugs but I know the first line works

Clint Eastwood

Offline SeerII

• Global Moderator
  • Drinks $$$ or bust !
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 10:16:42 AM »
nke puts worth a look at...just had a recent devaluation...

Offline Brown Recluse

• Administrator
Alcoa AA
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »
Seer,  with AA down the jan 13 $11's looking good b/a .14 .15

Clint Eastwood

Offline SeerII

• Global Moderator
  • Drinks $$$ or bust !
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 07:05:55 PM »
got out of my nke puts today with a $58 profit, and was happy to get it, at one point yesterday I was stuck over $100...stock pretty volatile, fast mover, too fast for me to watch when I'm at work..plus they announced a share buyback...looking for another play tomorrow, plus off work too...been looking at some wins again, might take a shot at some octobers...will look at aa too again... I still love win, thought it might pullback a little, but looking pretty strong here...could be ready to take off...gardner speaks tomorrow morning live again at a gold/sachs conference in new york, 7am eastern...

Offline Brown Recluse

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
got out of my nke puts today with a $58 profit, and was happy to get it, at one point yesterday I was stuck over $100...stock pretty volatile, fast mover, too fast for me to watch when I'm at work..plus they announced a share buyback...looking for another play tomorrow, plus off work too...been looking at some wins again, might take a shot at some octobers...will look at aa too again... I still love win, thought it might pullback a little, but looking pretty strong here...could be ready to take off...gardner speaks tomorrow morning live again at a gold/sachs conference in new york, 7am eastern...

I m loaded on Win with over 100 contracts.. confident and I am in the black pretty good so I can handle an pull back.  I feel like it's just waiting for something.  The past few days it ran fast and then retraced but it is sill gaining ground.  The HOD today was the highest in a month well highest since it tanked.  Give us a good day in the market  and I think it will take off.

Clint Eastwood